Monday, October 13, 2008

Pink Himalayan Sea Salt Soap


I needed a break from sewing and decided to tackle a new soap.  I had never made salt bars before and had heard that they were difficult to master.  From al
l the articles I read most soapers use either 100% Coconut or real close to that for the lather.  I have a hard time using that much coconut oil just for the fact it can be so harsh.  So I went 40% Palm Kernel ( I Have A Ton Of Organic visit me at www.abodynatural
soap.com), 20% coconut, and then I split the difference between soy and olive.  I was worried with it setting to quickly so I let the oils and the lye cool down to under a hundred (Plus this helps to create a light soap).  

I decided I didn't want any colorings so that the pink in the Himalayan salt would be what gave it color.  My son said it looked like a strawberry shake.  Hmmm I scented it s
age but now maybe I should have scented it strawberry.

So far so good.  I haven't cut it yet but I hear that it can set real hard so I will keep an eye on it.

6 comments:

Lomond Soap said...

Hi Sha-Marie
Thanks for following my blog :)
Thought I'd pop over and see what you're up to. I found salt bars tricky, yours look so much better than mine. Hope they don't crumble when you cut them.
Corrie

Body Natural Soap said...

Funny that you say that but yesterday I cut them. They were hard with in hours of pouring the soap. Several bars broke in half and I noticed that they were very crumbly. The others stuck together but I am sure if handled much I will find they are crumbly also. I will post pics tonight.

Joanna Schmidt said...

I can't wait to see the cut bars. I hope you post pictures, even if they are horrible! it is important for us to share the bad and the good. Do you remember my soap I had to add lyr to and cook? Ugh!!

Body Natural Soap said...

I will Try to post pics on this tonight. My internet was down last night when I tried. I'm also planning on sharing a faboulous recipie for Pumpkin Cake. I made it the same day as the salt bars and it saved my mood.

Joanna Schmidt said...

They don't look bad at all. Check out Lady Bug soaps tutorial on salt bars:

http://thesoapbar.blogspot.com/2008/07/salt-soap-tutorial-by-ladybug-soapworks.html

That is what I follow. In fact, I just made some two nights ago, and other than cutting too big of slices and some crumblies, it came out kind of pretty!

;)

Body Natural Soap said...

Thanks Joanna your a doll.